What for?

  „You’re studying three languages? What for?”. This is the most common question I hear from people when I introduce myself. Hello, my name is Anna and I’m studying spanish, korean and french”. For each second that passes, the eyes of my interlocutor become bigger and bigger, and then a crucial question is asked :”What for?”. At first I wasn’t sure about the answer, or rather I wanted it to be satisfactory enough for the person who asked me about my faculty choice. Should I point out that interpreters and translators are needed in the labour market? Or maybe is better to say that it allows you to travel and work outside of Poland? Certainly, it is truth, but the actual answer was much easier. I love it. I love to learn foreign languages. Learning new vocabulary, producing sentences and understanding more and more each time, that’s what really makes me happy. “But you know, now we have an acces to online translators and dictionaries”. Yes, I am aware of that and what I’m going to say right now is probably a little bit selfish, maybe even impolite, but I’m not learning all these just to be your personal “dictionary”. The feeling when you understand native speakers and you can truly communicate with them, the satisfaction of reading the book in its original language – that’s the feeling of true fulfilment. So yes, I’m studying many languages and I won’t stop beacause someone said that it’s not necessary nowadays, in the age of technology.

   Learning languages, at least for me, is connected with getting to know about culture, cuisine, society but also with travelling. And these are the topics that are going to appear on this blog. My travels, culinary not-always-masterpieces and observations made by me during the process of learning these so different but at the same time extremely beautiful languages and cultures. 

Comments

  1. I totally agree! But wait, where is English in all this? ;)
    PS. Please change the language settings in your blog to display all navigation and dates in English as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I just wrote about main faculties, I forgot to mention English :( My bad.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely no problem! I just find it interesting that English is not seen as a foreign language any more. It's just part of one's general education.

      Delete

Post a Comment