To the bone.



       About two weeks ago while I was watching Netflix, I came across a movie called “To the bone”. I was eager to see it as soon as I realized that it touches upon the topic that is anorexia. It tells the story of seventeen-year-old girl suffering from mentioned eating disorder, played by incredible Lily Collins. The movie is striking and triggers some kind of pain and fear. There is one especially sad and striking scene in which Ellen says that she is not a human anymore, she is just a huge problem.

      There aren’t a lot of movies dedicated to that topic. In my opinion, there should be. Why? Probably because this problem is not really understood by most of the people. Even those suffering from eating disorder can’t fully understand their mental state. That’s why those disorders are so dangerous. It seems that society is aware of the problem but as I see it, people tend to belittle that illness. “She’s just losing weight, so she needs to eat. What’s is so difficult in that?”. Well… that is the problem. No matter how many conversations you have with your parents and doctors, no matter how threating the results of medical examinations are, you just can’t force yourself to eat and that is what most people don’t understand. How do I know? I suffered from anorexia. Actually, I believe I still am. This problem never fully disappears. It’s been eight years since I started to eat normally but even after that time, I still think about amount of calories in a particular dish. And I know how hard it is to rebuild a healthy relationship with food and to start eating again.

      The movie really moved me and I wish there were more pieces of art about that issue so that society starts to understand more the struggle and danger of it. What I can do right now is recommend you watching “To the bone” and I hope you guys will open a little more to the problem of eating disorder.

Comments